0833 GMT December 03, 2020
Dmitry Rogozin responded to a question about whether NASA’s Apollo program actually put men on the Moon back in the 1960s and 1970s during a conversation with the president of Moldova, Igor Dodon, independent.co.uk reported.
He appeared to be joking, as he smirked and shrugged while answering.
In a video of their interaction, posted to his 815,000 Twitter followers, Rogozin said: “We have set this objective to fly and verify whether they’ve been there or not”.
NASA’s first manned mission to the surface of the Moon was accomplished by astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin in July 1969. A similar NASA mission was conducted by Gene Cernan and Jack Schmitt in December 1972.
In 2015, a former spokesman for the Russian Investigative Committee called for an investigation into the NASA Moon landings.
Vladimir Markin said an enquiry should be launched into the disappearance of original footage from the first Moon landing in 1969 and the whereabouts of lunar rock, which was brought back to Earth during several missions.
“We are not contending that they did not fly [to the Moon], and simply made a film about it,” he wrote in an op-ed published by Russian newspaper Izvestia.
“But all of these scientific — or perhaps cultural — artefacts are part of the legacy of humanity, and their disappearance without a trace is our common loss. An investigation will reveal what happened.”
The Soviet Union abandoned its own lunar program in the mid-1970s after four experimental Moon rockets exploded.
Earlier in November, Rogozin revealed plans to start building a base on the Moon after 2025, with the project exceeding the US Apollo program of the 1960s and 1970s in terms of scale. The program will put its first humans on the Moon by 2030 or 2031.