News ID: 268612
Published: 0252 GMT May 04, 2020

Taliban claim responsibility for attack on Afghan military center

Taliban claim responsibility for attack on Afghan military center

The Taliban on Monday claimed responsibility for an attack at a military center in southern Helmand Province in Afghanistan where at least 150 members of the Afghan Army and intelligence wing were stationed.

The bombing occurred on Sunday night, government officials and the Taliban said, according to Reuters.

“Dozens of members belonging to the enemy forces have been killed and wounded in the attack,” Qari Yousuf Ahmedi, a spokesman for the hardline group, said in a statement.

Afghanistan’s Defense Ministry confirmed the blast, and said one member of the army was injured.

The Afghan forces in the last two months have suffered heavy casualties across the country. The violence poses an immediate threat to a fragile deal between the United States and the Taliban, signed in February, as the Afghan military is forced to fight an emboldened Taliban with less US support.

An intelligence officer who survived the attack at the military center told Reuters that militants detonated a truck bomb near the facility for National Directorate of Security (NDS) and army forces.

Speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter, the official said he helped pull out at least 18 bodies from the blast site on Sunday night.

In a separate incident, police in southeastern Paktika Province said at least 20 people were injured when Taliban militants threw a hand grenade into a mosque in Khayerkot district on Sunday evening.

The US recorded an increase in Taliban attacks against Afghan forces in March after signing a deal with the militant group, a government watchdog office said in a report last week, contrary to hopes that the so-called peace deal would lead to less violence in the war-torn country.

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/7493 sec