News ID: 269350
Published: 0348 GMT May 20, 2020

Iran condemns Trump’s WHO pull-out threat

Iran condemns Trump’s WHO pull-out threat
IRNA

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Seyyed Abbas Mousavi condemned US President Donald Trump’s threat to halt funding to the World Health Organization.

“As global health is at stake and we need global solidarity and science-led leadership more than ever, Trump's letter to WHO Director-General is undermining the professionalism and independence of the organization, the spokesman said in his Twitter account on Wednesday.

“It is a vain attempt at the wrong time,” he said.

Trump threatened on Monday to reconsider the United States’ membership of the WHO if the organization did not commit to improvements within 30 days, and said the body had shown an “alarming lack of independence” from China.

Beijing has furiously denied the US allegations that it played down the threat and Chinese President Xi Jinping reiterated at the World Health Assembly that his nation had been "transparent" throughout the crisis.

 

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 2/2614 sec