“This is one of the ridiculous claims that the Americans have been raising recently with respect to the blurry prospect of elections in their country,” Seyyed Abbas Mousavi told reporters on Monday.
Iran does not care much about parties and factions in the US, he said, adding, “What we care about is their behavior and the way they interact with us,” according to Tasnim News Agency.
The comments came after a report by Reuters on August 6 claimed that Iranian citizens had been receiving text messages in Farsi offering them up to $10 million for information about attempts to interfere with the US election.
On Wednesday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told reporters the US was now offering up to $10 million “for information leading to the identification or location of any person who, acting at the direction or under the control of a foreign government, interferes with US elections by engaging in certain criminal cyber activities.”
Russian media also reported that Russian citizens have received similar messages on Thursday.
The Iranian spokesperson stressed that the text messages constitute a violation of people's privacy rights.
On Friday, the top US counterintelligence official warned that Russia, China and Iran will all try to interfere in the 2020 presidential election.
In an unusual public statement, William Evanina, director of the National Counterintelligence and Security Center, said those countries were using online disinformation and other means to try to influence voters, stir up disorder and undermine American voters' confidence in the democratic process.
Mousavi also pointed to the resignation of US special representative for Iran, Brian Hook, saying that “the relocation of the individuals and special envoys is not very important to us”, according to IRNA.
"It is natural for them [US officials] to change people while they are failing,” he said.
On Thursday, Mike Pompeo confirmed in a statement that Hook, one of the few national security officials to survive the disarray in the US foreign policy team through most of President Donald Trump’s term, was stepping down from his post after two years.
Hook will be replaced with Elliott Abrams, who currently serves as the US Department of State’s special representative for Venezuela and is a hardliner on Iran, too.