The delayed wages of former Persepolis manager Branko Ivankovic were paid in full, Mehdi Rasoulpanah, the ex-caretaker CEO of the Persian Gulf Pro League champion said on Wednesday.
“The remaining €101,000 of Ivankovic’s money was paid today,” said Rasoulpanah, which means the club’s provisional transfer ban could now be lifted.
The Iranian champion, which had been ordered by the FIFA’s Disciplinary Committee to pay €1.102 million to the Croatian in March, was given a September 12 deadline by the international football governing body to pay the sum or Persepolis would have indefinitely been banned from making any recruitments.
Rasoulpanah, who stepped down from his job at the club last Saturday, added that the wages of Ivankovic’s assistants were also transferred to their bank accounts.
“As a [Persepolis] supporter, I would like to express my gratitude to Ivankovic and his staff for all their efforts during their time at the club and apologize for the two-year delay in paying their salaries,” Rasoulpanah added.
Ivankovic, who joined Persepolis in April 2015, parted ways with the Tehran giant at the end of the 2018-19 season – following a financial dispute with the club – to join Saudi club Al Ahli, with one year left of his contract.
The Croatian, hugely adored by the Persepolis faithful, enjoyed a memorable four-year stint in charge of the Reds, leading the club to three consecutive league titles – including a domestic double in his final season – as well as a first-ever AFC Champions League final in 2018, where they eventually lost to Japan’s Kashima Antlers 2-0 on aggregate.
The Croatian is currently steering Oman in its 2022 World Cup qualification campaign.