printlogo


کد خبر: 275558تاریخ: 1399/7/23 19:10
In a ‘stunning rebuke’, UN Human Rights Council rejects Saudi membership bid
In a ‘stunning rebuke’, UN Human Rights Council rejects Saudi membership bid
Saudi Arabia failed in its bid to become a member of the United Nations Human Rights Council on Tuesday as China and Russia were elected to three-year terms.

In secret-ballot voting in the 193-member UN General Assembly on the race, Saudi Arabia won only 90 votes, france24.com reported.

Human rights groups hailed the snub to Saudi Arabia, which deals a blow to the kingdom's attempts to improve its image in the international community.

"The #HRC elections today delivered a stunning rebuke to #SaudiArabia under Mohammed bin Salman," tweeted Bruno Stagno, a deputy executive director at Human Rights Watch (HRW), referring to the country's crown prince.

"Only country not elected, shunned by a majority of the UN. The kingdom reaped what it deserves for its serious violations of human rights and war crimes abroad," he added.

Fifteen positions were up for grabs on the 47-seat body that has been criticized by rights organizations for electing countries accused of human rights violations.

However, only four of the 15 spots were contested, all in Asia-Pacific.

Official figures show over 7,200 children have been either killed or wounded in the Saudi-led onslaught on Yemen since 2015.

"Rights abusers should not be rewarded with seats on the Human Rights Council,” said Louis Charbonneau, UN director at HRW. "It's not good for human rights or for the rights council when the worst rights violators get elected.”

Among other accusations, the HRW also invoked a lack of accountability following Saudi Arabia's brutal murder and dismemberment of renowned journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the kingdom's embassy in Istanbul in October 2018.

Since March 2015, when Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched a devastating Western-backed war on Yemen, Amnesty’s researchers have investigated dozens of airstrikes and repeatedly found and identified remnants of US-manufactured munitions.

According to a report by the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict research organization, the Saudi-led war has so far claimed the lives of around 56,000 Yemenis.

The war has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools and factories. The UN has already said that a record 22.2 million Yemenis are in dire need of food, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger. According to the world body, Yemen is suffering from the most severe famine in more than 100 years.

 

 

 


لینک مطلب: http://irandaily.ir/News/275558.html
Page Generated in 0/0072 sec