0524 GMT December 05, 2021
The attacks in the remote villages of Debiro Hawul and Debiro Biu in Borno state on Monday and Tuesday came before at least 10 people were killed in an attack in neighboring Yobe, AFP reported.
Boko Haram, which has been fighting against government in northeast Nigeria since 2009, has intensified its campaign of terror in the last month.
In all, nearly 250 people have been killed in Nigeria since Muhammadu Buhari became president on May 29 vowing to crush the insurgency that has claimed at least 15,000 lives.
The latest attacks saw some 30 terrorists storm Debiro Biu on Monday and Debiro Hawul the following day, with reports taking time to emerge because of the villages' remote location.
"We received reports of attacks by suspected Boko Haram gunmen on the two villages, in which 42 deaths were recorded," one police officer said from the town of Biu.
Umaru Markus, who fled Debiro Hawul, said the attacks were carried out by some 30 terrorists in a convoy of pick-up trucks and motorcycles. The terrorists shot dead their victims after looting homes and shops and setting fire to buildings, he added.
The attacks again indicated the threat posed by Boko Haram, who have been pushed out of captured towns and villages by a four-nation military offensive since February. But deadly raids, shelling, explosions and attacks on "soft" targets such as markets and mosques have continued.
On Tuesday, 10 people were killed when explosives carried by a girl thought to be aged just 12 detonated at the weekly market in the village of Wagir, south of the Yobe state capital, Damaturu.