News ID: 269633
Published: 0658 GMT May 31, 2020

Many Australians used lockdown to give up smoking

Many Australians used lockdown to give up smoking
theislanderonline.com.au

There are signs that thousands of Australians used the coronavirus shutdown to give up smoking.

The country’s Federal health Minister Greg Hunt said between January and May this year, the My Quitbuddy app was downloaded more than 24,000 times, a staggering 310 percent increase over the same time last year, theislanderonline.com.au reported.

"These figures are very encouraging and I congratulate those who have taken the first step," Hunt said in a statement on Sunday, coinciding with World No Tobacco Day.

"Quitting is not always easy, but assistance is available and the benefits are significant."

He said there was growing evidence that smokers were more likely to develop a severe case of COVID-19 if they contracted the virus.

"However, there is currently insufficient evidence to conclude whether smoking — either cigarettes or e-cigarettes — increases a person's susceptibility to contracting the coronavirus," he said.

"Irrespective of the relationship between smoking and COVID-19, quitting smoking at any age is beneficial to a person's health. There is no safe level of tobacco consumption."

The Australian government aims to reduce smoking to less than 10 percent by 2025 through its 10-year National Preventive Health Strategy and has committed $31.6 million over four years from 2019/20 to reduce smoking prevalence.

This includes $20 million over three years to develop a new National Tobacco Campaign to encourage smokers to quit.

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/3239 sec