News ID: 273831
Published: 0256 GMT September 06, 2020

Iran: Perpetrators behind blast in Natanz nuclear site identified

Iran: Perpetrators behind blast in Natanz nuclear site identified
AFP

The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) said on Sunday that the perpetrators behind a July explosion at Natanz nuclear facility in central Iran have been identified.

AEOI spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi said security organizations are investigating the blast and have “identified the elements” that carried out the act of “sabotage”.   

“They know how it [the explosion] was carried out,” said Kamalvandi.

On July 2, Iran said an incident affected a shed under construction at the Natanz site, but it caused no casualties and failed to stop enrichment work at the facility.

Kamalvandi said the AEOI has not been informed about the details of the probe and that the investigation is still ongoing.

“Their goal was to deal a blow to us in producing enriched materials, but they failed to reach their objective,” he said.

 

Advanced machines

The spokesman also said the AEOI is passing the completion stages in the manufacture of advanced centrifuges.

“The IR-6, IR-8, and IR-9 centrifuges are being well tested and we are currently in the process of completing research,” Kamalvandi said, according to Mehr News Agency.

“These centrifuges are becoming more efficient day by day, and, if decided, it will be possible to industrially produce these machines,” he added.

The spokesman also referred to a recent report by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) on Iran’s nuclear activity, saying the report was in line with Iran’s expectations.

“The implementation of the bilateral agreement between Iran and the IAEA has progressed according to our expectations so far. We had expected what was mentioned in the IAEA report.”

In its quarterly report on the NPT Safeguards Agreement with Iran on Friday, the IAEA said Iran has granted the agency’s inspectors access to one of the two sites it agreed last week for verification purposes.

The IAEA report pointed to a trip by the agency’s chief Rafael Grossi to Tehran on August 24 and his talks with senior Iranian officials, which led to the issuance of a joint statement aimed at strengthening cooperation and building more confidence, Kamalvandi noted.

Referring to the report’s confirmation that Iran’s stockpile of heavy water was below the 130-ton limit agreed by the parties to the nuclear deal, Kamalvandi noted that Iran has had a good sale of its surplus heavy water.

“Even before the JCPOA, we announced that we would export our surplus heavy water; we did not say we wouldn’t produce over 130 tons.”

Noting that the product has drawn the attention of foreign buyers in the research and medical sectors, the spokesman said, “We have gained tens of millions of dollars through the sale of heavy water under the current circumstances.”

 

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/2044 sec