"Closely following conflict in #NagornoKarabakh & remain in touch w/ all parties. The warring parties should respect the law of war & avoid targeting civilians. We call for immediate ceasefire, respect for #Azerbaijan's territorial integrity & time-bound political talks," the Foreign Ministry Spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh wrote on his Twitter account.
Earlier in the day, Iran’s Interior Minister Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli said that Iran “will not tolerate” insecurity or interference at its borders.
The minister’s remarks came days after several rockets landed in areas populated by Iranian Azerbaijanis.
“Some bullets and mortars hit parts of our country in the wake of conflict and we asked them (Azerbaijan and Armenia) to control it, otherwise, the country will give stronger warnings to the warring sides,” Rahmani Fazli said according to Mehr News Agency (MNA).
“We advised neighboring countries of Azerbaijan and Armenia that we will not tolerate any insecurity, interference or any action that would harm security of our people in those areas and we hope that this issue will be resolved by observing current laws and implementation of international laws that respect national sovereignty and rights of countries,” said the interior minister.
Armenia and Azerbaijan resumed clashes on the border between the two countries last Sunday (September 27) blaming each other for the violence.
Nagorno-Karabakh has been a bone of contention between the two countries over the recent decades.
On Monday, the spokesman said in weekly press conference that Iran has drawn up a plan for the resolution of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan.
According to Khatibzadeh, the proposal is based on "respecting the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan and withdrawal of military forces from the occupied cities."