News ID: 277772
Published: 0256 GMT December 06, 2020

Iran decries int’l organizations’ inaction over worsening situation in Yemen

Iran decries int’l organizations’ inaction over worsening situation in Yemen
HANI MOHAMMED/AP
Yemeni children present documents to receive food rations provided by a local charity in the country’s capital, Sana’a, in April 2018.

Iranian officials denounced international organizations’ silence and inaction over worsening humanitarian situation in Yemen.

Irans Ambassador to Yemen Hassan Irloo in a message posted on his Twitter account, warned that the closure of the Sanaa International Airport is taking a toll on Yemeni people as the humanitarian conditions are deteriorating in the Arab country.

Thousands of seriously ill patients need to make trips for treatment. Thousands of migrants want to return home to their families,” the Iranian diplomat added, according to Tasnim News Agency.

On September, the Houthi movement closed the airport to relief flights including the United Nations’ flights due to the fuel shortage.

Also, President of Irans Academy of Medical Sciences Seyed Alireza Marandi in a letter to the UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres denounced the UNs inaction and sickening silence of international organizations over the Yemens humanitarian crisis.

Marandi noted that the secretary-general of the World Food Programme at a recent Security Council meeting on the situation in Yemen said, We are now on the verge of a catastrophe.”

Marandi added that the United Nations has previously admitted that Yemen is facing the world's biggest humanitarian crisis and that 80 percent of the country's 30 million people are in dire need of foreign aid.

Your deputy for humanitarian and relief affairs also admitted that because of the famine in Yemen, people are starving to death,” he said in his letter to the UN chief.

However, no real action has been taken. Unfortunately, the attacks of the coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates against the proud Yemeni people, which began in April 2015, continue with Western material and logistical support amid the sickening silence of international organizations. No action has been taken to lift the siege and help the starving people of Yemen. You are answerable to history.”

In a report on Tuesday, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said the ongoing Saudi-led war against Yemen has claimed 233,000 lives over the past six years.

"This large number is unfortunate and unacceptable," the OCHA said, adding that people have lost their lives since the beginning of the war in Yemen either directly due to the war or for reasons related to it.

Yemen has reached a critical point and there is an urgent need for a cease-fire now, the OCHA said.

Saudi Arabia and a coalition of its vassal states launched the war on Yemen in March 2015 in an attempt to reinstall a Riyadh-backed former regime.

The Saudi military aggression, coupled with a naval blockade, has killed hundreds of thousands of people and plunged Yemen into what the UN says the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

 

 

 

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/1228 sec