0214 GMT May 21, 2022
According to the official Palestinian news agency Wafa, Israeli warplanes fired a series of missiles on Saturday in the eastern, northwestern and central parts of the Gaza Strip, including open farmland, wounding a six-year-old girl and a man in his 20s, aljazeera.com reported.
The attacks caused power cuts in the eastern parts and caused some damage to a children’s hospital, a center for disabled people and shattered the windows of some residential buildings, according to the reports.
The Israeli military also said in a statement that its fighter jets had struck at least three targets belonging to the Hamas resistance movement, including a military post, a factory that purportedly manufactures rockets and an underground facility, on Saturday, Press TV reported.
Shehab news agency said the Israeli strikes hit the central part of the blockaded enclave.
The Israeli military claimed that the airstrikes were “carried out in response to rockets fired from the Gaza Strip" into the occupied territories a few hours earlier.
It added that the two rockets were purportedly intercepted and caused no casualties but triggered sirens in Ashkelon and nearby communities, and sent settlers into shelters.
The Israeli regime every so often launches strikes against positions in Gaza Strip, accusing the resistance groups in the territory of launching rockets.
Gaza has been under an Israeli siege since June 2007.
Since 2008, Israel has waged three wars against Gaza, where two million Palestinians live under a 12-year Israeli blockade from air, sea, and land. Thousands of Gazans have been killed in each of these deadly wars.
The crippling blockade has caused a decline in the standards of living as well as unprecedented levels of unemployment and unrelenting poverty in the Gaza Strip.
Call on UNSC
In a statement on Friday, the Palestinian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates called upon the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to assume its responsibilities and stop Israeli settler violence, as extremist Israeli settlers continue their acts of vandalism and violence, known as price tag attacks, against Palestinians and their properties.
The ministry announced that acts of violence committed by Israeli settlers recorded a sharp increase last week, and they are not just aimed at terrorizing defenseless Palestinians in the occupied West Bank, but also seek to advance the Tel Aviv regime’s expansionism at the expense of Palestinian land expropriation.
The statement noted that Israeli attacks on Palestinian public and private properties have mostly taken place in the south, east and west of the northern West Bank city of Nablus.
The Israeli settlers and organizations supporting them are pressing ahead with a greater settlement bloc in the mentioned area, and such bids prevent any possibility for the creation of a viable and geographically contiguous Palestinian state, the ministry pointed out.
The statement noted that settler attacks fall within the framework of Israel’s objective to effectively annex all sections of Area C, which represents 60 percent of the West Bank and is under the regime’s full control.
The ministry then held the Tel Aviv regime and the outgoing administration of US President Donald Trump responsible for the spike in the Israeli settler violence, which it said would prevent any chance for the so-called two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Late on Thursday, a group of Israeli settlers attacked Palestinian vehicles near the village of Al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya, located 20 kilometers (12 miles) south of Nablus. They also tried to attack Palestinian homes in the area.
Israeli settlers had uprooted dozens of olive trees from a Palestinian grove east of Yatta city, located approximately eight kilometers south of Al-Khalil (Hebron), earlier in the day.
Local official Rateb al-Jabour said settlers from the illegal Israeli settlement of Ma’on stole some 35 olive trees.
More than 600,000 Israelis live in over 230 illegal settlements built since the 1967 Israeli occupation of the Palestinian territories of the West Bank and East Al-Quds.
The UN Security Council has condemned Israel’s settlement activities in the occupied territories in several resolutions.