News ID: 278910
Published: 0302 GMT January 01, 2021

Rouhani: Iran, regional peoples will avenge assassination of General Soleimani

Rouhani: Iran, regional peoples will avenge assassination of General Soleimani
REUTERS

Zarif: Iran doesn’t seek war, but will ‘openly’ defend itself

Iran warns of ‘US military adventurism’ in letter to UNSC

IRGC chief says Iran braced to face any possible scenario

President Hassan Rouhani said on Thursday the Iranian people and other peoples in the region will never forget the assassination of Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani and will avenge it in due time.

January 3 marks the first anniversary of the US assassination of General Soleimani, the commander of the Quds Force of Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC). He was Iran’s lead military advisor helping Iraq and Syria defeat terrorists, chiefly Daesh.

Soleimani was targeted in a US drone strike in Baghdad during an official visit. Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the deputy commander of Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Units, was also killed along with other companions when their convoy was hit, Press TV wrote.

Describing the assassination of the two commanders as “unforgivable injustice”, Rouhani said, “[US President Donald] Trump committed many crimes and killed many people, but we will never forget these two cases.”

“These [Americans] must know that we will always lament their loss and the Iranian people, along with other peoples in the region, will one day avenge their assassination,” he added.

Rouhani said regional peoples will finally expel all criminal and invading foreign forces from this region.

“All peoples have realized that as long as the Americans are in this region, the region will not see a perfect and desirable [day], and the peoples of the region, God willing, will one day expel these criminals and invaders [from the region],” said the president.

Rouhani also said the enemy was definitely harmed by its “wrong" move to brutally assassinate General Soleimani, making a veiled reference to the fear the American officials feel ahead of the general’s martyrdom anniversary.

 

Pretext to attack Iran

Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Thursday said Trump is attempting to fabricate a pretext to attack Iran on the eve of General Soleimani’s first anniversary.

 “Trump & cohorts waste billions to fly B52s & send armadas to OUR region. Intelligence from Iraq indicate plot to FABRICATE pretext for war," Zarif said in a tweet.

The US military flew two nuclear-capable B-52 bombers to the Middle East “in a message of deterrence to Iran” on Wednesday, but the bombers have since left the region, Reuters reported.

It was the third time in six weeks that the cold war-era bombers were conducting long-range flights off the Iranian coast in the Persian Gulf.

Last week the US Navy announced the arrival of a nuclear-powered submarine in the Persian Gulf. The USS Georgia passed the Strait of Hormuz accompanied by two American warships, making it the first missile-loaded submarine of its kind to enter the Persian Gulf in eight years.

However, the Pentagon announced on Thursday that the Nimitz aircraft carrier, which was off the coast of Somalia, would be heading back to its homeport. Previously operating in the Middle East, some US officials said the move could be seen an attempt to reduce tensions in the region.

"Iran doesn't seek war but will OPENLY & DIRECTLY defend its people, security & vital interests," Zarif wrote.

 

US responsible for warmongering

Meanwhile, Zarif highlighted the “US acts of mischief” in the region during a phone conversation with his Kuwaiti counterpart on Friday and stressed that Washington would be responsible for the consequences of any possible adventurism.

He told Ahmad Nasser al-Mohammad Al Sabah that the Islamic Republic believes in comprehensive stability and security in the region away from any foreign interference.

 

US ‘military adventurism’

Iran’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York has also warned against the United States’ “military adventurism”.

“In addition to sending advanced and highly sophisticated weapons to the region over the past few weeks, the United States has also carried out some provocative military actions, including the deployment of a number of its long-range strategic bombers in the Persian Gulf in recent days,” the mission said in the letter to the UN Security Council on Thursday.

“Such belligerent moves, if left unchecked, could escalate tensions to alarming levels, and it is clear that the United States will be fully responsible for the entire consequences,” it added.

The letter underlined Iran's determination to protect its people and to defend its security, sovereignty and territorial integrity and noted that Tehran’s resolve to respond decisively to any threat or use of force against the country should not be underestimated.

 

Iran prepared for any scenario

The IRGC chief commander warned the United States against any provocative moves in the Persian Gulf, emphasizing that Iran stands fully prepared for any possible scenario.

Major General Hossein Salami said Pentagon’s recent decision to ramp up its military presence and activities in the Persian Gulf and the Sea of Oman is because of the mistake it made last year.

Salami noted that the US assassination of Soleimani fanned passionate hatred among Muslims worldwide.

“This intense hatred always haunts Americans like a nightmare. They have taken a series of actions to escape from this horrible nightmare. We have braced ourselves for any scenario,” he pointed out.

“Iran has no worries. We are ready to defend our independence, vital interests and achievements of our great [1979 Islamic] Revolution as we have demonstrated over the past 41 years.

“Today, we have no problems, worries nor concerns to face any military power,” Salami added.

 

 

 

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/1908 sec