1212 GMT May 06, 2021
The new initiatives of the president are aimed at further institutional development of the political system of Kazakhstan and enhancing the mechanisms of the protection of human rights.
Their implementation will facilitate the strengthening of the human rights protection system, expand civic participation, develop parliamentarism and a multiparty system, and further democratize the country.
Third package of political reforms
President Tokayev proposed the following reforms:
1. Reduce the threshold for political parties to gain seats in the Mazhilis (lower house of parliament) from 7% to 5%
2. After the introduction of elections of rural akims (mayors) starting in 2021, Kazakhstan will then proceed to the election of district akims
3. Introduce the option "against all" in the ballots for all future elections
4. Legally formalize the institution of online petitions
5. Adopt an additional law on the commissioner for human rights – the ombudsman (the law will streamline the activities of this institution in various areas and sectors)
6. Strengthen the Office of the Commissioner for Human Rights (including the creation of its regional offices)
7. Implementation of the Youth Development Index to evaluate the efficiency of youth policy
8.) Provide measures to stimulate the activities of charities
Previous packages of political reforms
The first package of reforms was presented at the meeting of the National Council of Public Trust on December 20, 2019. They were implemented ahead of the parliamentary elections which took place on January 10, 2021.
The reforms include:
The second package of political reforms was put forward by President Tokayev on September 1, 2020 in his address to the people of Kazakhstan. The reforms include:
The full text of Kazakhstan’s President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev’s remarks on the country’s third package of political reforms was obtained by Iran Daily from the Kazakh Embassy in Tehran.