News ID: 280967
Published: 0812 GMT February 21, 2021

Tehran dismisses claims on Iran-US direct talks

Tehran dismisses claims on Iran-US direct talks
IRNA

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh rejected claims made by a United States National Security senior official regarding holding direct talks between Tehran and Washington.

Khatibzadeh made the remarks reacting to the claims made by US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan who, according to a Bloomberg Sunday report, has said, “The Biden administration is in contact with Iran to demand the release of Americans held in the Islamic republic, an issue that will help determine future relations between the countries.”

“The remarks are not true in the way they have been stated. So far there has been no direct negotiations between Iran and the United States,” Khatibzadeh said as reported by IRNA.

He added, “Some messages have been received from the new US administration through US interests section in Iran, i.e. the Embassy of Switzerland, and some foreign ministers from other countries, indicating US readiness to follow up the issue.”

The spokesman further said several Iranians are being kept in the US prisons mainly without a clear charge and in non-legal processes. He stressed that Tehran’s “priority is the release of the Iranian prisoners in the United States.”

“Our policy is the release of our prisoners and we are prepared for that. We have had no talks with the United States,” the spokesman concluded.

   
KeyWords
 
Resource: IRNA
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/1423 sec