1030 GMT April 21, 2021
From April to December 2020, prosecuting agencies at all levels approved the arrest of 38 people suspected of criminal cases related to manhole covers, said the Supreme People's Procuratorate (SPP) at a Tuesday press conference, xinhuanet.com reported.
Another 55 people involved in 49 cases were prosecuted, said Yuan Ming, a senior prosecutor of the SPP, at the press conference.
The cases involved criminal charges of damaging traffic facilities, endangering public security by dangerous means, and theft, among others, said Zhang Jianzhong, an SPP prosecutor.
In response to incidents caused by uncovered manholes in recent years, the SPP, together with the top court and the Public Security Ministry, jointly issued a guideline that specified punishments in related cases in March 2020.
A procuratorial suggestion was given a month later to authorities to push for better management of manhole covers.
The campaign has achieved concrete results. By December, more than 41,200 smart manhole covers were in place while 158,300 safety devices had been installed, said Yuan.