Khatibzadeh comments were made referring to what Iran's Secretary of Expediency Council Mohsen Rezaei’s had earlier said in an interview with Financial Times, IRNA reported.
Rezaei’s opinions in his interview were his own “personal views,” Khatibzadeh said in a statement.
According to Financial Times, the secretary of Iran’s Expediency Council said Tehran will be ready to negotiate with the US and other Western powers if they provide a “clear signal”.
They must reassure Iran that all the sanctions imposed after the signing the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) will be removed in less than one year and tell Iran to go and negotiate this process, Rezaei told Financial Times
US former President Donald Trump withdrew his country from the JCPOA in May 2018. The landmark nuclear deal was signed in 2015 between Tehran and six major world states — the US, France, Britain, Germany, China and Russia — and was later endorsed by UN Security Council Resolution 2231.
After abandoning the deal, Washington re-imposed the anti-Iran sanctions lifted by the accord and launched a push to fully destroy the agreement by trying to dissuade the remaining signatories from staying in the agreement and threatening sanctions against any party that refuses to cut business ties with Tehran in defiance of American sanctions.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif also reacted to Rezaei’s remarks in a tweeted message earlier on Friday saying he would “shortly present our constructive concrete plan of action through proper diplomatic channels."
"Iranian polity is vibrant & officials express diverse opinions.
“But those opinions should NOT be confused with state policy.
"As Iran's FM & chief nuclear negotiator, I will shortly present our constructive concrete plan of action—through proper diplomatic channels," Zarif stressed.