News ID: 291602
Published: 0149 GMT March 15, 2021

Houthis call for end to US military involvement in Yemen

Houthis call for end to US military involvement in Yemen
YAHYA ARHAB/EUROPEAN PRESSPHOTO AGENCY

The photo shows a house in Yemen’s capital, Sana’a, which was destroyed by a Saudi-led coalition airstrike.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken’s comments about supporting a Yemen free from foreign influence are “positive”, Houthi official Mohammed Ali al-Houthi said on Twitter on Monday.

He said the United States should back up its intentions by ending its involvement in military operations carried out by the Saudi-led coalition against his group, according to Reuters.

Washington plans to reinvigorate diplomatic efforts, alongside the United Nations and others, to end the war in Yemen, Blinken told UN Special Envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths, a State Department spokesperson said on Sunday.

“He highlighted that the United States supports a unified, stable Yemen free from foreign influence, and that there is no military solution to the conflict,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said in a statement.

Saudi Arabia and some of its regional allies waged the Yemen war in March 2015 with the aim of reinstating a Riyadh-friendly regime.

The Saudi-led war, which has been accompanied by a full blockade on Yemen, has killed tens of thousands of people and taken a heavy toll on the Arab country’s infrastructure.

The UN has described the situation as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

The Yemeni Army launched armed drones to attack Saudi Arabia’s Abha Airport as well as King Khalid Airbase in the southern town of Khamis Mushait in retaliation for Riyadh’s continuation of a six-year-long war on Yemen, said a spokesman, according to Press TV.

In a tweet on Monday, Yemeni Army spokesman Yahya Sare’e wrote that the country’s air force managed to carry out “accurate” attacks with Qasef-2K (Striker-2K) combat drones against the two positions.

“It is part of our natural and legitimate right to respond to the crimes of the [war coalition] and its continuing blockade,” Sare’e added.

This appears to be the first news of Houthi drones being fired into Saudi Arabia in almost a week.

There was no immediate Saudi confirmation that those locations had been hit, but the coalition said it had intercepted a drone early on Monday fired towards Khamis Mushait.

Houthi attacks into Saudi Arabia have escalated in recent weeks. On March 7, the coalition said a barrage of drones and missiles had been intercepted en route to their targets, which included an oil storage yard at Ras Tanura, site of a refinery and the world’s biggest offshore oil-loading facility as well as a residential compound in Dhahran used by state-controlled oil giant Saudi Aramco.

 

 

 

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/1570 sec