“It is unacceptable for [the United States of] America to chant the slogan of human rights and express concern over the worsening humanitarian conditions in Yemen as a result of the [Saudi-led] aggression and siege, and then make that (humanitarian issues) subject to military and political bargaining,” Mohammed Abdul-Salam wrote in a post published on his Twitter page on Monday, Press TV reported.
He was responding to US Secretary of State Antony Blinken’s comments on supporting what he described as a Yemen free from foreign influence.
During a phone conversation with the UN’s Yemen envoy, Martin Griffiths, Blinken claimed that “the United States supports a unified, stable Yemen free from foreign influence, and that there is no military solution to the conflict,” according to the US Department of State.
Washington plans to “reinvigorate diplomatic efforts” to end the war in Yemen, he said.
Abdul-Salam said a political process can achieve success only when it is free from coercion, adding, “We know the US is well aware of what can [truly] contribute to the restoration of peace in Yemen,” but its misleading and unwise statements show Washington does not want such a thing to happen.
The Ansarullah spokesman said, “Our position is defensive. The US must first oblige aggressors to stop their aggression and lift the blockade against Yemen” in order to set the stage for a real political process.
Ansarullah sends peace plan to US envoy
Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, a member of Yemen’s Supreme Political Council, tweeted on Monday that the Ansarullah movement had presented its own vision plan for the cessation of hostilities in the war-torn country to US Special Envoy for Yemen Tim Lenderking.
“We are only demanding an end to the [Saudi-led] aggression, and removal of the blockade. We are not opposed to cease-fire and do not refuse any such bids,” he said.
“We are actually confronting an all-out aggression against our country, besides occupation and siege by a coalition which is waging a war, invading our country and besieging our nation,” Houthi added.
The senior Yemeni official noted that Ansarullah has submitted a plan for a nationwide cease-fire in Yemen, through Griffiths, to Lenderking.
The US special envoy for Yemen on Friday said during a webinar with the Atlantic Council think tank that Houthis are a “significant player” in Yemen and that needs to be acknowledged.
“I don’t think you can operate by denying that reality,” he said, adding that the US “never said the Houthis have no role in Yemen.”
Lenderking, who recently returned from a three-week trip to the region, said Washington is looking for the Ansarullah’s response to its peace plan, but claimed that Ansarullah does not appear interested in a cease-fire at this moment, and is supposedly prioritizing a military campaign to take the strategic central province of Marib.
“I will return immediately when the Houthis are prepared to talk,” Lenderking said.
Attack on Saudi air base
Yemen’s military said it had launched yet another successful drone attack against King Khalid Air Base in southwestern Saudi Arabia in retaliation for the Riyadh regime’s ongoing military aggression and blockade against the crisis-hit impoverished country.
Spokesman for the Yemeni Armed Forces Brigadier General Yahya Saree said on Tuesday that army troops and allied fighters from Popular Committees had carried out a strike against King Khalid Air Base, which is located near the city of Khamis Mushait, Yemen’s Masirah television network reported.
He added that designated targets inside the air base had been successfully hit with a domestically-developed Qasef-2k (Striker-2k) combat drone.
Saree said the airstrike falls within Yemen’s legitimate right to respond to the Saudi-led coalition’s air raids as well as its continued all-out siege against Yemeni people.
A day earlier, Yemeni armed forces, backed by allied fighters from Popular Committees, had fired two domestically-developed ballistic missiles towards the southern Saudi city of Khamis Mushait.
Saudi Arabia’s state-run Al-Ekhbariya television news network, citing a statement issued by the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen, claimed that the missiles landed in uninhabited border areas.
The coalition early on Tuesday said it had also intercepted an explosive drone flown toward Khamis Mushait.