0342 GMT July 24, 2021
The Khaju Bridge has two decks (floors). This bridge was built to work for different purposes. As a bridge, it connected the old Isfahan to villages located on the southern side and also it connected Isfahan to Shiraz road in south of Iran.
There are steps in front of bridge. The bridge also functions as a dam. Water canals of the bridge are closed during spring and summer seasons.
In the past, water was reserved on the western side of bridge, then diverted to maddies (streams in dialects of the people of Isfahan) and distributed to different districts of the city for gardening, and agricultural purposes.
The bridge’s lower deck has 21 sluices, about with three meters wide. At the central part of the upper deck, there is a beautiful pavilion fantastically decorated, which was used by the rulers and royal family.
Ornamentation of two sides, facing to river is a mixture of brick and tile mosaic work.
The Khaju Bridge was built in the 15th century. In 1650 the bridge was reformed and constructed during the time of Shah Abbas the Second, the seventh Safavid king (shah) of Iran, ruling from 1642 to 1666.
The bridge was also been repaired in 1837.
The Khaju Bridge is visited by millions of visitors every year.