Persepolis was given the green light by Iran’s Health Ministry to resume its Persian Gulf Pro League campaign after returning from India despite a compulsory quarantine, according to ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari.
Health Minister Saeed Namaki has ordered the Iranian club to go into a two-week self-isolation upon arrival from India amid a second wave of COVID-19 infections in the South Asian country.
India on Tuesday reported 323,144 new daily cases, slightly below a worldwide peak of 352,991 on the previous day.
The Iranian Reds are in India for their Group E fixtures at the AFC Champions League, where they secured a place in the last-16 round despite a 1-0 defeat against the UAE’s Al Wahda in Goa on Monday.
Persepolis is due back in Tehran after the final group game against Qatari side Al Rayyan on Thursday.
Speaking to Varzesh3, Sadat Lari said, “The quarantine had been arranged for Persepolis even before the surge in coronavirus cases in India.”
The health official said the rule applies to all Iranian teams returning from overseas competitions but they are still allowed to “train and play” during isolation.
However, should more than 25 percent of the team’s members test positive for the virus during the two-week period, trainings and matches would be postponed, Sadat Lari added.
A massive encounter on May 7 will see Persepolis, second in the table with a game in hand, play away to league leader Sepahan, before taking on archrival Esteghlal in the Tehran derby five days later.