Speaking to his Iraqi counterpart Fouad Husseinon in a phone call Monday, Zarif also expressed Tehran’s strong protest against the breaching of the diplomatic security of the Iranian diplomatic center, saying such moves are not only against the diplomatic rules and regulations, but are also in direct contrast to the 1963 Vienna convention, IRNA reported.
On Sunday night, attackers attempted to set fire to the Iranian Consulate, as they gathered outside the mission burning tires and several trailers parked outside, according to police and videos circulating online.
“Ensuring the security of the diplomatic center in your country is among the responsibilities of the Iraqi government, so while demanding serious pursuing of the issue by the concerned official and identifying the criminals in that illegal act, I hope, thanks to the serious efforts by the Iraqi government and security officials, we will no longer witnesses similar incidents there,” Zarif told his Iraqi counterpart.
Iraq’s Foreign Minister Fouad Hussein, for his part, expressed deep regret over the unfortunate brutal incidence, and conformed the Iraqi government’s strong responsibility for ensuring the security of the diplomatic centers.
He added necessary orders have been issued to further intensifying the security measures following the incident.
Earlier on Monday, spokesman of Iran’s Foreign Ministry Saeed Khatibzadeh said in a weekly press conference that Tehran strongly condemned the assault against its consulate in Iraq’s holy city of Karbala.
He urged Baghdad to meet its commitments with regard to protecting Iran’s diplomatic missions in the neighboring Arab country, Press TV reported.