0810 GMT January 22, 2022
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said the government has done its utmost to support those harmed by the COVID-19 pandemic in the country despite all restrictions, stressing, “We will continue our supports.”
He made the remarks in the 229th meeting of the Government’s Economic Coordination Headquarters on Sunday, IRNA reported.
Commenting on the adverse heavy impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on the people while the country has been under a full-fledged enemy-imposed economic war since a few years ago, Rouhani said despite the restrictions on the government’s foreign currency income, his administration did its best to support the harmed households and businesses since the outbreak of the pandemic in the country in late February 2020.
The Iranian Health Ministry announced on Sunday that the country’s daily COVID-19 deaths and infections during the past 24 hours stood at 198 and 8,876, respectively.
The statement said the total COVID-19 death toll and infections since the outbreak stand at 79,939 and 2,902,094, respectively.
It added that 4,219 COVID-19 patients are in critical condition, and of the newly-detected cases, 1,154 individuals have been hospitalized.
The ministry said 2,441,528 COVID-19 patients have so far either recovered from the disease or have been discharged from hospitals.
It also announced that 19,814,489 coronavirus diagnostic tests have so far been carried out, and 4,010,053 doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered to people.
The Health Ministry said 13 cities in the country are coded red (very high-risk) in terms of the spread of the virus, while 214 are in the orange zone (high-risk), noting that based on a decision by the National Task Force for Fighting the Coronavirus, travel to and from these cities is prohibited.
The number of the country’s yellow (medium-risk) and blue (low-risk) cities are 221 and zero, respectively, according to the ministry’s Monday statement.
Iran has been grappling with the fourth wave of COVID-19 infections over the past few weeks that has caused the country to see daily record-high deaths and infections of above 450 and 21,000 and impose a partial lockdown in very high-risk cities, closing certain businesses and public places.
The authorities say that the country is past the peak of the fourth wave.
Speaking to reporters on Sunday, Dr. Minou Mohraz, who is in charge of supervising the clinical studies of a homemade COVID-19 vaccine, dubbed COVIran Barakat, being developed by a subsidiary of the Execution of Imam Khomeini's Order (EIKO), said she has asked for an emergency use authorization of the jab.
She added that many countries authorized the emergency use of their COVID-19 vaccines while the jabs were in the third clinical trial phases, as is currently the case with COVIran Barakat.
“We call on the Health Ministry to issue a permit in this regard in an effort to alleviate people’s concerns.”
She warned people against injecting smuggled vaccines, giving the assurance that the domestic jab has a high quality and is being developed according to international standards.
Iran launched the third stage in the clinical trial of COVIran vaccine in late April, according to Press TV.
Among the volunteers was Dr. Mohraz, who is also a member of the National Task Force for Fighting the Coronavirus and an infectious diseases specialist.
The third stage of the vaccine’s human trial involves 20,000 people in different cities.
The COVIran vaccine went into human trial on December 29, 2020, after successfully completing the initial steps, including tests on animals, and obtaining necessary approvals.