The Palestinian movement’s spokesman Fawzi Barhoum made the remarks after Israeli fighter jets launched a series of air raids on the Gaza Strip on Thursday for the second time since a cease-fire ended last month’s war between Hamas and Israel.
Barhoum said in a statement that “the occupation’s bombing of the resistance sites is a demonstrative show” by the new Israeli cabinet, referring to the coalition that was approved on Sunday by Israel’s Knesset, with right-wing nationalist Naftali Bennett sworn in as prime minister, Al Jazeera wrote.
“The resistance will be on the lookout in defense of our people and our holy sites,” the statement added.
Barhoum also called the strikes an attempt by the regime “to raise the morale of its soldiers and commanders after it collapsed” in the last confrontation, according to Press TV.
He also warned of renewed fighting if Israel “continues to commit idiocies and target our people.”
Palestinian sources on the ground said Israeli missiles hit several sites belonging to armed groups northwest of Gaza City and north of Beit Lahia in the besieged territory.
The Israeli military claimed the attacks was carried out in response to the continued launching of incendiary balloons at the occupied territories.
Israeli airstrikes had stricken Hamas sites in two locations on Wednesday, too.
Last month, Israel and Hamas reached a cease-fire to end days of conflict. The regime had desperately demanded the cease-fire after the resistance targeted it with more than 4,000 rockets in response to its provocations in the Palestinian territory of the West Bank.
At least 260 Palestinians, including 66 children, were killed in the Israeli bombardment of the Gaza Strip during the conflict that began on May 10. Israel’s airstrikes also brought widespread devastation to the already impoverished territory.