1006 GMT December 09, 2022
Palestinian media outlets reported that Israeli settlers fatally shot a member of the Palestinian National Security Forces in the northern part of the West Bank, according to Press TV.
First Lieutenant Alaa Khaled Muhammad Zahran reportedly sustained grave gunshot wounds on Monday night, when a group of settlers opened fire at his vehicle near the Palestinian town of Deir Sharaf, located northwest of Nablus.
He was taken to Rafidia Surgical Hospital in Nablus city, where he was pronounced dead by medical personnel shortly after arrival.
In Sheikh Jarrah, where Israel is trying to evict several Palestinian families, the regime’s forces used stun grenades and sprayed skunk water on Palestinians overnight.
There were clashes between Israeli settlers and Palestinians earlier Monday evening with Israeli media reporting stones and chairs were thrown between the opposing sides, according to Al Jazeera.
The Palestine Red Crescent said 20 Palestinians were wounded in the fighting and reports said several were arrested. Those hurt included 16 who suffered from pepper spray and tear gas-related injuries, and an elderly person who was hit in the head.
The medic service also said several of its ambulances were targeted by Israeli settlers who hurled stones at its vehicles.
Meanwhile, dozens of Israeli settlers on Tuesday forced their way into the Al-Aqsa Mosque complex in occupied East Al-Quds, according to the Islamic Endowment Department.
Late on Monday, Israeli police could be seen raiding a Palestinian home and throwing a stun grenade at residents inside.
Sheikh Jarrah has been the scene of frequent crackdowns by Israeli police on Palestinians protesting the threatened forced expulsion of dozens of Palestinian families from their homes in favour of hardline Israeli settler groups.
Palestinians and rights groups say the case highlights discriminatory policies aimed at pushing Palestinians out of Al-Quds.
The eruption of violence is the latest friction in Sheikh Jarrah, where weeks of protests and crackdowns captured international attention ahead of the 11-day Israeli assault on Gaza last month.
A cease-fire took effect on May 21, but the long-running campaign by Israeli settlers to expel Palestinians from their homes continues.
The settlers have waged a decades-long campaign to push out the families from densely populated Palestinian neighbourhoods in the so-called Holy Basin, just outside the walls of the Old City, in one of the most sensitive parts of occupied East Al-Quds.
Israel captured East Al-Quds – home to holy sites sacred to Jews, Christians and Muslims – in a 1967 war and annexed it in a move not recognised internationally.