Iraq’s Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi on Monday condemned overnight US airstrikes against resistance groups, sparking immediate calls for revenge.
“We condemn the US air raid that targeted a site last night on the Iraqi-Syrian border, which represents a blatant and unacceptable violation of Iraqi sovereignty and Iraqi national security,” said a statement from his office, AFP reported.
Iraq’s military also condemned the airstrikes as a “breach of sovereignty”.
In a statement, the US military said it targeted operational and weapons storage facilities at two locations in Syria and one location in Iraq. It did not disclose whether it believed anyone was killed or injured but officials said assessments were ongoing.
Iraqi resistance groups in a statement named four members of the Kataib Sayyed al-Shuhada faction they said were killed in the attack. They vowed to retaliate, Reuters reported.
Syria’s SANA news agency said one child had been killed and at least three other people were wounded.
Saeed Khatibzadeh, Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman, also slammed the strikes and called on the United States to avoid “creating crises” in the region.
Saeed Khatibzadeh told reporters in Tehran that the US should “refrain from taking emotional steps, creating crises and tensions, and multiplying problems for people in the region”.
“The US still continues the wrong path in the region. What we see today is not only the sanctions but also following the wrong policies of the previous administration with actions they carry out in the region,” he said.
“Certainly, what the United States is doing is disrupting security in the region, and one of the victims of this disruption will be the United States,” Khatibzadeh added.
The strikes came at the direction of President Joe Biden, the second time he has ordered strikes against resistance groups since taking office five months ago. Biden last ordered limited strikes in Syria in February, that time in response to rocket attacks in Iraq.
In their statement, the Iraqi resistance factions pledged to “avenge the blood of our righteous martyrs and wreak vengeance on the perpetrators of this heinous crime”. They also warned the US against repeating its attacks, Press TV wrote.
“We will remain the shield defending our beloved nation, and we are fully ready … to respond and take revenge,” the statement said.