Saudi Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud said that his country welcomes talks with Iran, nearly three months after the two regional powers began negotiations in Iraq.
“We are open to dialogue with Iran,” Prince Farhan told Italian newspaper La Repubblica.
The official-level meetings in the Iraqi capital Baghdad aimed to restore relations that Saudi Arabia severed five years ago after protesters in Iran stormed its diplomatic missions following the execution of a revered Shia cleric in the Arab kingdom.
The talks, facilitated by Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi, had remained secret until the Financial Times reported that a first meeting had been held in Baghdad on April 9.
Iran confirmed on May 10 that the talks had been held, adding that it was "too soon" to discuss the results.
"The purpose of the talks was both bilateral and regional," Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said.
Farhan told the Italian daily that Riyadh and Tehran had “positive stances” during the meetings in Baghdad.
He expressed hope that the talks would open a new chapter in bilateral relations.