News ID: 314807
Published: 0301 GMT July 14, 2021

Russia slams US silence on suspected role in murder of Haiti president

Russia slams US silence on suspected role in murder of Haiti president
RICCARDO SAVI/GETTY IMAGES

Russia slammed the United States for remaining silent on the suspected involvement of its citizens in the assassination of Haitian president Jovenel Moise.

A hit squad assassinated Moise at his private residence in the capital, Port-au-Prince, last week. Haitian authorities say the operation involved at least 28 people, many of them Colombian mercenaries, who were hired through the Florida-based security company, CTU, Press TV reported.

A recent report also revealed that several of the suspects had ties to the US, including serving as informants for the FBI.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said on Tuesday that Moscow was “surprised” when the US “flatly declined to comment on the involvement of American citizens in this crime.”

“Well, where are the sanctions, the G-7 statements, the hysteria by US human rights activists?” she said on her Telegram channel.

Currently, three US citizens are under arrest for their involvement in the assassination, according to Haitian authorities.

On Sunday, the White House sent a delegation of law enforcement and national security officials to Haiti, where they met with government and police officials.

They also met with political leaders, including interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph, who has now taken control of the country, and Senate President Joseph Lambert.

White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said that the team had warned about the country’s instability in the wake of Moise’s murder, without commenting on the arrest of American citizens in connection with the murder. “What was clear from their trip is that there is a lack of clarity about the future political leadership.”

In the meantime, the US said it was reviewing a request by Haiti to send troops to help secure key infrastructure in the country.

 

Plot against Maduro

 

Meanwhile, Venezuela said the company involved in the killing of Moise had plotted to assassinate Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro back in 2018.

Speaker of the National Assembly of Venezuela Jorge Rodriguez said at a press conference on Tuesday that Caracas has information “that this security company, led by Antonio Itriago, was involved in the attempted assassination of Nicolas Maduro on August 4, 2018.”

The unsuccessful operation, according to the information shared by Caracas back then, involved mercenaries and anti-government militia, and was run by a private Florida-based security firm.

Rodriguez also said that the company was involved in an operation last year to oust Maduro from power. Caracas thwarted the plot, though.

He accused Colombian President Ivan Duque of being connected with the CTU. The Colombian government has denied the accusations.

Maduro said earlier this month that the CIA spy agency and the American military had masterminded a plot to assassinate him.

The president said, “Our sources in Colombia assure us ... that they have come to prepare a plan to attack my life.”

Washington has long been trying to oust Maduro from power.

The country has been in relative turmoil since 2019, when a low-profile opposition figure, Juan Guaido, declared himself president of the country and won immediate support from Washington.

 

 

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 1/1486 sec