ICC prosecutor seeks to resume Afghanistan war crimes probe
The chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court sought urgent clearance on Monday from the court’s judges to resume investigations of war crimes and crimes against humanity in Afghanistan, saying that under the country’s new Taliban rulers “there is no longer the prospect of genuine and effective domestic investigations” in the country.
Judges at the global court authorized an investigation by prosecutor Karim Khan’s predecessor, Fatou Bensouda, in March last year. The probe covers offenses allegedly committed by Afghan government forces, the Taliban, American troops and U.S. foreign intelligence operatives dating back to 2002, according to AP.
The decision to investigate Americans led to the former U.S. president Donald Trump administration slapping sanctions on Bensouda, who left office over the summer at the end of her nine-year term.
Afghanistan envoy withdraws from General Assembly debate: UN
Afghanistan's ambassador to the United Nations pulled out of delivering an address to world leaders at the General Assembly later Monday, a UN spokesperson said.
Ghulam Isaczai, who represented former Afghan government that was ousted last month, had been due to defy the Taliban with a speech but his name was removed from the list of speakers early Monday.
"The country withdraws its participation in the general debate," Monica Grayley, a spokeswoman for the assembly's president, confirmed to AFP.
Italy rules out recognizing a Taliban gov’t in Afghanistan
Italian Foreign Affairs Minister Luigi Di Maio said the Taliban government in Afghanistan could not be recognized but said Afghans should start receiving the financial support that was frozen after the armed group took power last month.
He urged foreign governments to prevent a financial collapse there that would result in a massive flow of migrants, Al Jazeera reported.
“Recognition of the Taliban government is impossible since there are 17 terrorists among the ministers, and the human rights of women and girls are continuously violated,” Di Maio told state-owned television Rai 3 on Sunday.