Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Ali Baqeri Kani said on Wednesday that he had “a very serious and constructive dialogue” with Enrique Mora, the European Union’s political director, in Brussels on the resumption of discussions to revive the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers.
Baqeri Kani tweeted that his talks with Mora focused on “the essential elements for successful negotiations”.
“We agree to start negotiations before the end of November,” he said, adding that the “exact date would be announced in the course of the next week”.
The meeting in Brussels for “talks on result-oriented negotiations” came in the wake of Mora’s visit to Tehran earlier this month.
Iran and the remaining parties to nuclear deal – France, Russia, Britain, China and Germany – began negotiations in Vienna in April to restore the tattered deal, known as the JCPOA, three years after former US president Donald Trump walked out of it and reinstated draconian sanctions on Iran.
The Vienna talks paused in June before Iran held a presidential election that saw Seyyed Ebrahim Raeisi emerging victorious.
The US under President Joe Biden has voiced willingness to rejoin the JCPOA. Tehran wants Washington to lift all Trump-era sanctions before reentering the pact.
Iran okay with Vienna format
Iran’s Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said on Wednesday that Tehran does not seek to restart talks from the point that they reached in Vienna.
However, he said Iran consents to the formant of the Vienna talks and will resume negotiations with the JCPOA parties soon.
“We will decide, but it will not be too late and this will happen,” Amir-Abdollahian said. “We will resume these talks with the P4+1 soon,” he added, referring to the remaining members of the nuclear deal.
Amir-Abdollahian stressed that Iran will only resume talks with the P4+1 when they return to their obligations under the JCPOA and their return would yield an “important gain” for the Islamic Republic.