Tuesday’s attack “technically” resembles two previous incidents whose perpetrators “were unquestionably our enemies, namely the United States and the Zionist regime”, Brigadier General Gholamreza Jalali said in a televised interview on Saturday.
Jalali said his organization, which is in charge of cyber security, not “forensically” but “analytically”, has come to the conclusion that the latest attack was also carried out by the US, Israel and their agents.
In July, Iran’s Ministry of Roads and Urban Development said a “cyber disruption” had affected its computer systems and website. And in May last year, the Iranian port of Shahid Rajaee, in the Strait of Hormuz, came under a cyberattack blamed on Israel.
Tuesday’s cyberattack caused traffic jams on major arteries in Tehran, where long queues at petrol stations disrupted the flow of traffic.
President Seyyed Ebrahim Raeisi on Wednesday said the perpetrators tried to make people “angry by creating disorder and disruption”.
Around 3,200 of the country’s 4,300 gas stations have since been reconnected to the central distribution system, said the National Oil Products Distribution Company.
Other stations also provide fuel for motorists, but at unsubsidized rates that make it twice as expensive, at around five US cents per liter.