Iran’s foreign minister said the main goal pursued by Iran during the forthcoming talks in Vienna with the remaining parties to the 2015 nuclear deal is to secure the removal of all sanctions imposed on the country.
Hossein Amir-Abdollahian made the remarks in a Thursday phone call with his Polish counterpart, Zbigniew Rau.
“All participants [in Vienna talks] have reached the common understanding that the United States is the main party to blame and is responsible for the current state [of negotiations],” Amir-Abdollahian added, according to Press TV.
After withdrawal from the nuclear deal in 2018, former US president Donald Trump launched a “maximum pressure” campaign against Iran, which he said was aimed to compel the Islamic Republic into negotiating a new deal.
Having failed to reach its goal, the US, under President Joe Biden, has expressed willingness to rejoin the nuclear pact, officially called the JCPOA, and rescind Trump’s anti-Iran policy. His administration has, however, taken no concrete measure to that goal.
Iran and the remaining parties to the JCPOA, known as the P4+1 – China, Russia, Britain, France and Germany – have held six rounds of talks in the Austrian capital since April in order to revitalize the unraveling accord by bringing the US back to compliance.
A new round of talks is set to recommence on November 29.
‘Firm determination’ required
Iran’s top negotiator said Thursday the forthcoming talks will succeed if the P4+1 have a “firm determination” and stand “practically” ready to bring about a removal of the United States’ sanctions against Iran.
Ali Baqeri Kani, who serves as Iran’s deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs, made the remarks in a tweet on Thursday, following meetings with resident ambassadors in Tehran, ambassadors of the Persian Gulf Arab states and ambassadors of Mediterranean and East European countries on Wednesday.
“I stated that success of the future talks depends on other side’s firm determination and practical readiness to remove sanctions,” Baqeri Kani said following the meetings.
Continuation of Trump's failed policies
Meanwhile, Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman called the new US sanctions against Iran the continuation of Washington's abortive policies concerning the Islamic Republic.
"The Islamic Republic considers the US new sanctioning efforts to be the continuation of Trump's defeated maximum pressure policy," Saeed Khatibzadeh said on Thursday.
The remarks came after the US Treasury Department placed six Iranian persons and one institution on Washington's sanctions list under the pretext of their trying to influence the 2020 US presidential elections.
"These are efforts [that are taken] out of desperation," he said, condemning the sanctions as an "illegitimate" bid on the part of a country that, itself, tows a longstanding record of interfering in various other nations' internal affairs.
France's interference in IAEA's work
Khatibzadeh separately condemned remarks made by his French counterpart Anne-Claire Legendre, through which she had called on the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to send a "strong message" to Iran and urged that the Islamic Republic return to its nuclear obligations "without delay".
The French official's comments earlier in the day concerned the remedial nuclear steps that Iran took in retaliation for counterparty non-commitment to the JCPOA.
Iran initiated the counter-steps in 2019, after observing a year of strategic patience in the face of the US's withdrawal from the deal, its re-introduction of the sanctions that the agreement had lifted, and others, including France’s refusal to object to the sanctions.
Khatibzadeh referred to the French official's remarks as a means of trying to "influence the IAEA's attitude," saying such meddlesome comments only served to "tarnish the agency's reputation as a technical and specialist UN organization".