News ID: 318588
Published: 0858 GMT December 09, 2021

Iran’s top negotiator in Vienna to continue JCPOA talks

Iran’s top negotiator in Vienna to continue JCPOA talks
IRNA

Political Desk

Iran's top nuclear negotiator Ali Baqeri-Kani arrived in the Austrian capital of Vienna on Thursday morning to continued talks on removal of illegal sanctions against Iran.

Iran and the remaining parties to the 2015 nuclear deal, officially referred to as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), are set to reconvene in Vienna later on Thursday to resume talks on the revival of the tattered agreement as the United States imposed new sanctions on Iran that could be seen as a “wrench” thrown into the process.

Prior to attend the meeting of the Joint Commission of the JCPOA, Baqeri-Kani who heads the Iranian delegation in the nuclear talks, is to have diplomatic consultations with Enrique Mora, the European Union’s political director, who also coordinates the Vienna talks, as well as the heads of the Chinese and Russian delegations.

The new round of discussions between Iran and Britain, France, Germany, China and Russia – known as the P4+1 – comes after Iranian negotiators brought forward two sets of proposals on how to remove US sanctions that were imposed on Tehran in the aftermath of Washington’s unilateral withdrawal from the pact in 2018 and how the Islamic Republic would roll back its nuclear activities within the terms of the 2015 agreement.

On Tuesday, Bqeri-Kani said that the draft proposals can be a basis to “direct the course of the talks toward progress”.

He said the wide-ranging proposals were “based on the documents that both Iran and other parties agreed upon” during the six previous rounds held earlier this year.

However, the United States and the three European countries called the drafts unacceptable and urged Iran to return to Vienna with “realistic proposals”.

Iran’s chief negotiator has described as “documented and well-founded” the proposals submitted to the five other signatories of the 2015 nuclear deal in the course of the latest round of talks in Vienna, saying the P4+1 group is now expected to offer a response in a similar vein.

One of the two proposals revolves around the removal of the US sanctions, while the other concerns Iran’s retaliatory steps away from the nuclear deal.

In a phone call with Chinese Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Ma Zhaoxu on Wednesday, Baqeri-Kani described as “documented and well-founded” the proposals submitted to the five other signatories of the 2015 nuclear deal.

The new round of talks is about to recommence as the US ramped up pressure on Iran on Tuesday by imposing new sanctions against Iranian individuals and four organizations.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman slammed the move, saying “doubling down on sanctions won't create leverage” for the US in the course of the talks between Iran and the P4+1.

Saeed Khatibzadeh urged the US to “understand that ‘maximum failure’ and a diplomatic breakthrough are mutually exclusive”.

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/1979 sec