News ID: 319559
Published: 0305 GMT January 21, 2022

Over 180 casualties after fresh Saudi raids on Yemen

Over 180 casualties after fresh Saudi raids on Yemen
REUTERS

Saudi warplanes bombed homes in Yemen's western city of Hodeida and a detention center in northern Sa'ada, with initial reports putting casualties above 180 people.

In Sa'ada, Saudi warplanes attacked a temporary detention center, leaving at least 180 people – including African migrants – dead or injured, Yemen's Al-Masirah television reported. It showed footage of the wounded in a Sa'ada hospital.

A correspondent of Lebanon's Al Mayadeen television in Yemen said 62 bodies had been pulled out from under the rubble.

"The hospitals are full of martyrs and the wounded, and we desperately need medicine and medical equipment," Sa'ada Governor Mohammed Jaber Awad said, Press TV wrote. "Many international organizations had previously visited the prison."

The airstrike also plunged Yemen offline as the war-torn nation lost its connection to the internet nationwide, an advocacy group said.

NetBlocks said the disruption began around 1 a.m. local and affected TeleYemen, the state-owned monopoly that controls internet access in the country.

The frenzied bombing of Yemen by the Saudi-led coalition has intensified since Yemeni forces launched rare drone and missile strikes against strategic targets deep inside the United Arab Emirates in retaliation. 

 

'War crime'

Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, a member of Yemen's Supreme Political Council, reacted to the Saudi airstrikes against residential neighborhoods in Hodeida, saying they amount to a “war crime” and are “not forgivable.”

“You should not have continued your aggression and crimes until the present day if the bombing campaign had worked out,” Houthi addressed Saudi Arabia and its allies in a post published on his Twitter page.

“God willing you will lose in Yemen, just like (the United States of) America, which is arming and aiding you, in Afghanistan…”

Hodeida Governor Muhammad Ayyash Qahim said the latest airstrike exhibited the level of the Saudi-led coalition's despair and frustration.

 

UN chief alarmed

 

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Thursday expressed alarm at the continued Saudi airstrikes in Sana’a, Hodeida and elsewhere in Yemen.

“The secretary-general reiterates his call on the parties to exercise maximum restraint and prevent any escalation amid heightened tensions in the region, as well as to respect their obligations under international humanitarian law,” his spokesman Stephane Dujarric told a daily press briefing.

UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg has just left Riyadh after concluding a visit to Saudi Arabia. He met Saudi Vice Defense Minister Prince Khalid bin Salman and other Saudi interlocutors, Dujarric said.

During his meetings, Grundberg denounced the recent wave of military escalation, including the heavy airstrikes on Sana’a.

Saudi Arabia, backed by the United States and regional allies, launched the war on Yemen in March 2015, with the goal of bringing a former government back to power and crushing the Ansarullah movement.

The war has left hundreds of thousands of Yemenis dead and displaced millions more. It has also destroyed Yemen’s infrastructure and spread famine and infectious diseases there.

 

 

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 2/4677 sec