News ID: 320748
Published: 0230 GMT April 03, 2022

Agreement in Vienna talks 'close': FM

Agreement in Vienna talks 'close': FM

Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said on Sunday an agreement is “close” in paused negotiations to restore the 2015 nuclear deal.

“We are close to an agreement in the negotiations,” Amir-Abdollahian said during a phone conversation with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, according to IRNA.

“We have passed on our proposals on the remaining issues to the American side through the EU senior negotiator, and now the ball is in US court,” the top diplomat added.

Negotiations have been held since April last year to revive the deal, known formally as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), between Iran and Britain, France, Germany, Russia and China directly, and the United States, indirectly.

Guterres stressed the importance of the Vienna talks and expressed hope that the parties would reach an agreement as soon as possible.

Nearly a year of negotiations brought the parties close to renewing the landmark 2015 accord.

The JCPOA gave Iran sanctions relief in exchange for curbs on its nuclear program. The U.S. unilateral withdrawal from the accord in 2018 under then-president Donald Trump and the reimposition of tough economic sanctions prompted Iran a year later to begin rolling back on its own commitments in retaliation.

The Vienna talks aim to bring back the U.S. to the nuclear deal, including through the lifting of sanctions on Iran, and to return Iran to full compliance with its commitments.

Among the sticking points is Tehran’s key demand to remove the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps from the U.S. list of ‘terrorists’.

 

Yemen cease-fire

Elsewhere in the conversation, Amir-Abdollahian welcomed a two-month cease-fire in Yemen brokered by the United Nations.

“It is now the time to take major steps toward peace and stability in Yemen, and in particular the complete lifting of sanctions,” he said.

The top diplomat renewed Iran’s support for a political solution to Yemen’s crisis.

“We hope that the complete siege of the Yemeni people will be lifted as the cease-fire is in place.”

UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg said on Friday that Yemen's warring parties agreed to the cease-fire starting Saturday and to allow fuel ships to enter Hodeida port and select flights from Sana’a airport.

Grundberg said the nationwide truce, coming into force ahead of the fasting month of Ramadan, could be renewed with the consent of the warring sides.

Saudi Arabia launched a military aggression against Yemen in March 2015 in collaboration with a number of its allies to restore a former friendly government and oust the Ansarullah movement.

The devastating war and the crippling siege have killed hundreds of thousands of Yemenis and turned the entire country into the scene of the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, according to the United Nations.

 

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/7074 sec