1002 GMT June 25, 2022
In a statement, the ministry said that 11 government troops and two civilians were killed in a “terrorist attack” on a civilian transit bus. It said another three soldiers were wounded.
According to the statement the bus was en route to the central province of Homs when the attack occurred, AP reported.
Syrian state news agency SANA said the strike took place at around 6:30 a.m. in the remote eastern Jabal al-Bishri region of the vast province of Raqqa.
The report did not say whether the bus was attacked with machinegun fire, or whether it was hit by a missile or a roadside bomb.
The war monitor said the ambush had been carried out by Daesh sleeper cells that launch hit-and-run attacks in the country's desert areas, Reuters wrote.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights put the death toll at 15, saying all of them were from the regular army or allied paramilitaries.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.
The Daesh terror group proclaimed a so-called “caliphate” in a third of both Iraq and Syria in 2014 and the city of Raqqa was its de-facto capital. The terrorists were defeated in 2019 but Daesh sleeper cells still carry out deadly attacks.
One of the deadliest bus ambushes was in December 2020, when 28 people were killed in an attack on a main highway in Syria's eastern Deir al-Zor province.